Wife? Husband?....... Who Cares?

I meant to comment on my facebook page but realized it was too long. I need to start with some context. I was trolling fb and saw  a link to a friend's website. She is into beauty and I think she has done tremendously well for herself. Starting a business, growing her brand and expanding into closely related areas. I checked out her profile and it read thus - My name is________. wife, mother,doctor,blah ,blah , blah.

My 1st reaction was.... Ewwww. What does wife and mother have to do with anything. I have always disliked this trend of introducing oneself as a wife and mother. I don't get it. Before you bite my head off, here are my reasons;

1. If you are selling me a lawn mower,what does your marital status have to do with it? or does your lawn mower only mow marital grass? I mean really?? I believe if your business isn't marriage or child related then why mention it? It doesn't make your product sell faster or make your business more high profile. It's all just vanity if you ask me.

2. This trend encourages society(not like they don't act like they have enough reasons already) to judge women that aren't married harshly. Invalidates them in some way. so you are married, good for you. it does not mean the woman that is unmarried is any less of an entrepreneur. Why mention your marital status? Does it mean Lape that is unmarried and selling fish, is now less qualified to sell the fish or what? Plus getting married is easy. having a good marrige is another thing. thats a story for another day.

3.  Finally, how many men  advertise their marital status on their business page? It is an aside. If it comes up in conversation, great. Otherwise, life continues. I can hear women clamouring, it's different for men. Why should it be though? isn't it business we are talking about.

P.S If a man puts husband and father, I would be equally disgusted.

Feedback is important to me.
Please drop your comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine.......... Arrggghhh (pulling hair out)

Oga At The Top....... Some Perspective

HYpertension and snoring..... REALLY!!