On Girls and bullying......



I have always wondered what drives the aggression girls have towards other girls. I mean, I have lived a very colorful life. Anyone who knows me, understands what I mean. I have been accused of everything under the sun. One of my friends actually accused me of 'stealing her friends'. Please note that i didnt say boyfriend oh. By way, she meant her guy friends. I have never had many girl friends. Always wondered what was wrong with me. Actually had a talk with a friend with many gal pals and she gave me some helpful tips;

- Try to be none threatening. Don't come across as sexy or flirty. Girls deemed as sexy or pretty are seen as threats and girls become aggressive.

- Try to be funny. Always helps to keep other women at ease.

Tried these methods. Didn't work. Anyway, long story short. Its been an uphill battle for me. But this isn't meant to be a pity party. Just to say, I have always wondered what it is that informs this aggression. This girl on girl cruelty. For the longest time,I wondered whether I was a bad person or a bad friend.  I don''t think that is it. This article tries to explain it.

" From the earliest age, girls are flooded with conflicting messages about their sexuality. They are socialized to be "good girls" above all: kind, polite and selfless. Yet they are also told -- via media images, the clothing that's marketed to them and the messages conveyed by some adults -- that they will be valued, given attention and loved for being sexy. The result is a near-constant anxiety about not being feminine or sexy enough."
"Meanwhile, girls consume romance narratives that tell them the most important relationships they can have are with boys who love them. "
Please read more here - Why didn't other girls help by Rachel Simmons


I am sure this isn't the whole picture but it represents one side of the argument. Girls in competition for guys.

Thanks for reading and please let me know what you think. Am I just imagining the girl-girl cruelty?  What do you think drives this aggression? How can we stop it?

Comments

  1. Girls will always be girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to believe that girls can be sooo much better than that. Thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine.......... Arrggghhh (pulling hair out)

Oga At The Top....... Some Perspective

HYpertension and snoring..... REALLY!!